Wednesday, November 26, 2008

FROM 1997--"TURKEY FACES POLITICAL TURMOIL"


In view of the fact that tomorrow, here, whether or not one agrees with its political content, is a national holiday, utilizing the food/bird, turkey, as a central component of their "celebrations, " I thought I would reprint an excerpt completely relevant from a Wall St. Journal article of the same name, above, from June 19, 1997.

I have hundreds of WSJ articles through the 1990s in my files, all of which follow privatization developments throughout the globe.
Since Murdoch purchased the Journal, I no longer read it.

Anyone with access to the WSJ archives can peruse the MANY WSJ articles on the above themes through the 1990s.
But, I will intersperse just a few, ocassional excerpts from the articles I possess, when and if I deem possible.

Thus, the following EXCERPT from a much longer article, WSJ, June 19, 1997,

"Turkey Faces Political Turmoil":

"...The military has taken its battle against fundamentalism into the business sphere as well.

In a series of unprecedented news briefings, officers alleged that 100 major businessmen controlling 1,000 companies were financing fundamentalists, undermining the regime and planning to buy privatized companies. Six of the businessmen were said to be worth more than $700 million each. Also mentioned was Kombassan, a 35-company provincial cooperative that has grown rapidly on promises of a better than 25% return on investments.
A court froze Kombassan's bank accounts on Tuesday. Turkey's secularist media accused it of being a pyramid scheme...."


END EXCERPT FROM WSJ 1997 ARTICLE

I am not familiar with Kombassan.

I know nothing about it/them.
So, I would have to research it, myself, and cannot add anything to the above.

However, mentioned in the article, of course, is/was the Koc and Sabanci empires, of which Sabanci's Akbank, the largest in Turkey, and Citigroup, and, Iran's Parsian, are now partnered.

As you might recall, Citigroup acquisition of Akbank had their "coming out party" in NYC's prestigious Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.

As a reminder of that event, the Akbank-Citigroup Party, above, EXCERPTED from my entry of May 10, 2007,

"...as anyone reading my blog for awhile knows, I've been following the financial comingling of Citibank, Turkey's Akbank, Halkbank, Iran's Parsian from previous blogs. Well, apparently, there was a party recently in NYC I did NOT attend and to which I was NOT invited. Had I known about it earlier, which I did not, perhaps, I would have "crashed" the event. So, here it is, "Citigroup's 20% Purchase of Akbank Shares Celebrated at Waldorf-Astoria":


www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/6484053.asp?gid=74

And, in addition, another EXCERPT from my blog entry of Saturday, May 26, 2007, which makes reference to the above, regarding Kissinger and Akbank:

"...On my blog of May 10, 2007 I referred to the party to which I was not invited, the one at the prestigious Waldorf-Astoria in NYC celebrating Citigroup's purchase of shares in Turkey's Akbank, partnered in turn, with Iran's Parsian. Well, another followup event I will be missing in this context is Kissinger and Akbank in Turkey, "Kissinger to Speak at Akbank Conference":

www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=74106

Kissinger's appearance, I can assure everyone, is not "just" to give a speech. Simultaneously, US government current pronouncements have reiterated official support for Turkey's AKP Presidential candidate, Gul, and, ALSO, official US government sources have reissued their "warnings/urgings" for Turkey NOT to "invade" Kurdistan militarily":

www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=74230

And, amazingly, fortunately, someone else apparently reprinted some of my earlier blog entries from my former blog, karlmarxwasright, which is now blocked to public access due to reasons beyond my knowledge or control.

So, I happened to come across an earlier blog entry of my own in an internet search, just now.

Far from being displeased, I am surprised and eternally grateful to anyone else who posted any of those entries on another website or blog, since they are now unavailable to public access. A great service.

Thus, I will utilize someone else's link, to refer back to my own blog entry from June, 2007:

http://www.worldproutassembly.org/archives/2007/06/pakistan_mercha.html

I hope to be able to do an update blog, shortly, appropriately entitled: "One Nation Under Citigroup."

No comments: